Saturday, October 25, 2008

When a shed is a home

Elizabeth Feudale-Bowls of Allentown, Pennsylvania lives in a steel shed near her home because she has multiple chemical sensitivities. The shed is a safe place for her. Her neighbors think it's "a eyesore" and the judge has ruled that because Elizabeth Feudale-Bowls and her husband did not comply with building code, the shed will be taken down at the end of the month. Stories like these attract the attention of all of us with environmental illnesses like Elizabeth experiences. The article in Mail Online the internet version of the UK Daily Mail notes that "simple things like laundry dryer sheets and ...." make her sick.

Friday, November 7, 2008

I began this post two weeks ago when VardoForTwo was just being born.(This post shows the date of my original draft) I wasn't sure how to include Elizabeth Feudale-Bowls' story, yet. Now, I do. As I rested and recouped from the affects of a toxic exposure to dryer sheets I tracked down a followup story about Elizabeth. She is appealing the judge's ruling to tear her safe place down. The attention she is getting is a double-edged sword (geez I don't actually like that image, but ... perhaps you have another way of putting it). She is fighting for her safety and getting a lot of negative/positive attention. It takes a lot to do what she and her husband are doing. I've posted a comment on the Seattle Examiner on line article that invited feedback.

No comments: