Friday, March 5, 2010

Akin to the Beaver


American Indians called the beaver the "sacred center" of the land because this species creates rich habitats for other mammals, fish, turtles, frogs, birds and ducks. Since beavers prefer to dam streams in shallow valleys, much of the flooded area becomes wetlands. Such wetlands are cradles of life with biodiversity that can rival tropical rain forests. Almost half of endangered and threatened species in North America rely upon wetlands.

Besides being a keystone species, beavers reliably and economically maintain wetlands that can sponge up floodwaters (the several dams built by each colony also slows the flow of floodwaters), prevent erosion, raise the water table and act as the "earth's kidneys" to purify water. The latter occurs because several feet of silt collect upstream of older beaver dams, and toxics, such as pesticides, are broken down in the wetlands that beavers create. Thus, water downstream of dams is cleaner and requires less treatment.

From the comfort of the vardo, still wrapped in the quiet of night sleep, I heard the song of birds.  Small voices they did find their way to me inspite of the very manicured and humanly residential nature of the Mill Town.  On my feet I pulled the soft worn flannel curtains away from the windows, inspecting them for the moisture that collects after a night of being sealed against the sulfur of pollens and kiln from the mills.  Almost as a sleep-walker I wiped the moisture from the windows to keep mold from forming on the milk-painted oak frames.  Making up the bed waits for a time later this morning.

With my robe tucked about me and slipped into my boots and down the three short steps from our sleeping loft and onto the sidewalk.  There they were, a family of tiny sparrows looked from the roof ledge.  We talked a bit and I was happy to feel a smile gently taking over my sleepy face.  Inside, Pete had already been at this computer printing out insurance forms for his new business in the making...the legal trappings of becoming a small biz owner.  "I saw the sparrows on the roof...heard them chirping, too."  Busy with his focus, he said, "I don't feel connected to the outside."  Oh, I thought what a price to pay for beavering away.


The 'Ole nights and days of the Hawaiian Moon Calendar begin tomorrow, and new projects wait during this three night period.  'Ole Ku Kahi, 'Ole Ku Lua and 'Ole Pau are the twenty-first to twenty-third nights of the moon cycle.  These times are also the stage of the moon between one cycle and the beginning of another.  The moon's light is dimming, waning or in Hawaiian it is the beginning of the Anahulu (10 day week) of 'Emi.
Dane Rudhyar identified this phase approaching the new moon as the Balsamic phase of the Soli-Lunar cycle.  Sandra and David Mosley, astrologers at Zodiacarts write this about the Balsamic phase:

"The end of one cycle and the beginning of another.  Keywords for the Balsamic phase are:  transition, release, transformation, renewal, purity.  It is the phase in a cycle when you must let go of everything you have been working on that does not deal with current cycle issues.  During this phase you reflect on the passing cycle and prepare for the new.  Trust in renewal.  It is important to separate from others now so that you can clear the intellect of negativity.  LET GO.  Become still and meditate."
I recall the first time I heard the 'Ole Cycle also referred to as the "Balsamic phase" ... it made me chuckle with curiosity as I thought only of the tangy taste of a good Balsamic vinegar.  This old gal, a beaver undercover really, with intense Saturnian energy is grateful for the balancing nature of Change that comes inspite of my propensity to control.  Sweet, small voices of the sparrows still reach me and that is a very good thing.  Beaver work mirrors the blessing of a birthright ... and I can refrain from judging myself too harshly.  'Ole days aka the Balsamics start tomorrow, and we prepare for the new.

1 comment:

Susie Collins said...

I can totally relate to Pete's comment. One must work very hard to be sure that balance is kept between the two vocations: biz owner and nature lover-- neither neglected, neither allowed complete rule. I know that struggle well.