Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Care and feeding instructions ... for the soul

The day was one of those Puget Sound at her finest days, and a full-moon (in Gemini) rose to keep me company after an afternoon in Edmonds. I lived on this stretch of Puget Sound 15 years ago and walked the shoreline often. Today, I took myself on a small and precious drive to this Washington town while the jack hammers and beeping trucks below our vardo encampment raised hell with the old sidewalks.

I bundled up with hood, hat, scarf and filled my eyes with the bright sun and very cool temperatures. When I was cooled by the crisp north wind to the point of near discomfort, I spotted words running along the cement embankment. This is what was written:

To stand at the edge of the sea, to sense the ebb and flow of the tides, to feel the breath of a mist over a great salt marsh...to have knowledge of things as nearly e t e r n a l as any earthly life can be.

-Rachel Carson

No comments: