Tuesday, December 22, 2009

'OLE CYCLE BEGINS Today, Tuesday, December 22 and lasts through December 25.


The newest 'Ole Cycle of the Moon begins today and lasts for four days. This is a time of review and finishing what has been done, tidying up and weeding through the active days since the last 'Ole Cycle. With Christmas Day part of this cycle of the 'Ole Moon, I thought I'd leave the lyrics to one of my most favorite Caroles in Hawaiian and English. In Hawaiian, this mele is a lullaby to me, and something to sing with a large group on Christmas Eve while holding single candles under an Island sky.

From our vardo we send wishes of peace and joy to all our friends, family and readers.

Po la'i e Silent Night

Po la`i e, po kamaha`o,
Maluhia, malamalama
Ka makuahine aloha e
Me ke keiki hemolele e
Moe me ka maluhia lani
Moe me ka maluhia lani

Peaceful night, wonderful night,
Peace, light
The beloved mother
With the holy child
Sleep in heavenly peace.
Sleep in heavenly peace.

2 comments:

Joan Tucker said...

Spent yesterday finding uTube video clips on hula and Hawaiian Christmas stuff. Lovely music and beautiful dancing. I was in the mood and remembering some sweet Hawaiian
Christmases we have spent on Oahu, Maui and Big Island. Especially the one in Io Valley when the warriors came down and tramped through the house.Hope the vardo keeps you safe, snug, and relaxed. Jt and Lana

Mokihana Calizar said...

JT,
YEs, what beautiful memories of Hawaiian times. I just put one of my favorite photos of Pete and me outside Mana Foods in Makawao (up-country Maui). That Iao Valley Christmas was blissful, I see the cheerful lights in that bay window and the walkers ... yes!
Pete is enjoying the clear skies for drilling in our porch pod and I will be enjoying more rest, soon.

Many hugs and thanks for keeping in touch. Hi, Lana!

Aloha, Mokihana and Pete